Thursday, June 2, 2011

Car trouble. Sell, fix and sell, or just fix and keep.?

I owned a pt cruiser that gave out right when I pulled up to the dealership about an hour and a half away from my home, so I was kind of forced to buy a car.

I didn’t have much money so I bought a 99 Chevy cavalier with 197,000 miles on it for 2 grand.(didn’t have much of a choice really, cheapest car they had and I had no other way to get home)

The guy at the dealership said “no known problems with it, runs perfect. Didn’t need to do any repairs because everything checked up good on it. The only problem is how many miles it has. It just had an oil change so you should even be good on that too!”

So like an idiot on the spot I buy it. (It was like 6:30pm and I had class bright and early the next day)

Later I notice that the ABS light is on, didn’t think much of it since I wasn’t sure what it meant. Then the “ETS off” light…clueless still. The next day I realize that two of my blinkers are out, I decided that there wasn’t much to worry about, id just get them replaced, so I did. I also had to replace three fuses, then I realized that the sticker on my window with the company title that I purchased the vehicle from had the date of when the next oil change is due…it’s due 3,000 miles from now… or one month from now. Then the next day the emergency brake light comes on, so I take it to Tuffy to have them look at it. They tell my wheel bearing needs replaced a $164.15 part with $76.00 labor. Now things are just getting annoying. I WANTED a car that I wouldn’t have to pay a bunch to repair on. I don’t have any money left, if I knew this would happen I would have fixed the PT that I found out blew a head gasket…but that car only had 97,00 miles on it...I need a RELIABLE Vehicle… is 2 grand not enough for that? Was I ripped off? I feel like I was. Is it worth fixing? Should I sell it now before anything ells goes wrong so I can get SOME money back? if i do sell it, should i fix it up first or just be done with it now?Car trouble. Sell, fix and sell, or just fix and keep.?
The cavalier isnt that bad of a car, but with the amount of miles on it? and you are just beginning to see what has gone wrong with it. i look at it this way, if it was such a good car then why did the original owner let it go? When things go wrong, they just keep going wrong. yes you overpaid for that car, but this is how we learn through life's lessons. You have a choice to make, bring the car to a shop for an estimate of repairs then make a decision whether to fix or sell. The PT cruiser would have cost you at least $600 for a new head gasket and it would have been fixed in a day or so. You still have the lemon law right where you live and you may have the option to return the car back to the dealer. You can always claim insanity and the stress you were under for the need of a car and the dealer took advantage of you in that respect.



good luck.......Car trouble. Sell, fix and sell, or just fix and keep.?
THE USED CAR SHOULD HAVE A WERRENTY WITH THE PLACE U BOUGHT IT TAKE IT BACK AND HAVE THHEM FIX IT ALL ABS IS UR ANTI LOCKING BRAKES ETS IS ELECTRI TRACTION SYSTEMCar trouble. Sell, fix and sell, or just fix and keep.?
No matter what old car you buy, you will have to spend money on. Your lucky u only wasted about 300 bucks. Your best choice now is just to repair the car, and for a 99 cavalier 97,000 miles on it isnt that much.Car trouble. Sell, fix and sell, or just fix and keep.?
Unfortunately it sounds like you got scammed. You should have asked to see a car fax report on the vehicle before you bought it. There are allot of high mileage vehicles out there that are fairly decent. High mileage today is not as important a factor as it used to be. If you can verify that the veclicle has been well maintained and has had no extraordinary problems in the past you may be o.k. Of coarse any used vehicle is a gamble. If you have a lemon law where you live you may wish to take advantage of it. Personally, If it were me I'd ditch the car A.S.A.P and consider it a hard lesson learned. As far as the PT Cruiser goes -They are JUNK right from the factory and have gotten some really rotten reviews. Also- If you're tempted to buy another Chrysler product STAY AWAY from Chrysler Seabrings. They ,historically ,have some major engine oil pressure issues. Also Chrysler and Dodge have a really bad reputation for weak transmissions. NEXT TIME DON'T JUMP ON A SALE- DO SOME ONLINE RESEARCH!Car trouble. Sell, fix and sell, or just fix and keep.?
Either way you look at it you are gonna be out some money. No one will give you 2k for it and probably not much more than 1200. So weigh your options of whether its better to sink more money into the car or take a loss of probably a grand after all the repairs you have put into it and the loss in what you would actually get for the car. Here is an idea, look for a Volunteers of America center near you, take the car there and see what they will give you for the car. The VOA can have great deals on cars. I have bought 3 cars from them in the last 5 years and have been happy with all of them. The most I have ever paid was 2100 for a car. The best deal I ever got there was a 1997 Ford Explorer Eddy Baur Edition for 1700!! In excellent shape to. Being a student may help you in the purchase price of a vehicle. It did for the Explorer. I bought it for my daughter to get to and from school so they lowered the price. Good luck.
  • where did my folder walk
  • Can you sleep with just a duvet cover
  •