Thursday, June 2, 2011

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.2 bearing issues?

I'm looking for some feedback on this:



I just purchased a used 98 grand cherokee with 84000 miles. Everything seems to be perfect on it but I hear that noise that changes pitch the faster you go. Like a friction coming from the back.



I went to the jeep dealership and had a mechanic take a ride with me and he said it sounded liek the wheel bearings. He said it would range ebtween 500 to 1000 dollar job depended on how long this ha dbeen going on.



I got the jeep for 6700$ after taxes which was a cash price. I did the blue book value of it and its close to 10,000. It really is in good condition except by that detail.



Can I go to the place i bought it from and have them fix it? Can I even legally request that since I bought it yesterday?

Any input would be appreciated.1998 Grand Cherokee 5.2 bearing issues?
the noise sounds like a wheel bearing. the jeep might have a dana 35 rear end. if it does then it is a fairly simple operation to change it . i have a dana 35 on my 83 amc/jeep eagle and

removed the axles myself.there should be 4 bolts holding the backing plate on. to access it you will have to remove all of the brake hardware including the brake lines off the wheel

cylinder and the e-brakes. now you should see the 4 bolts.

on the backside of the plate you will find the nuts. remove them, using a dead blow mallet(rubber) gently tap on the spindle till the shaft loosens up. then gently slide it out.

remember to replace both bearing at the same time.

if you don't have a bearing press then go to your favorite shop and have the bearing removed and your new ones installed. make sure you have a repair manual to refer to.

if you have any other jeep questions go to www.bulltear .com

and ask away we are here to help.

good luck