Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How do you get use to 100mm wheels on in-line skates after having 80mm wheels?

I have been in line skating for years. Completed around 6 in line marathons and wanted to upgrade my skates from my previous Salomon (that they do not make anymore :( ). I bought K2 with 100mm wheels and they are so uncomfortable in the boot not to mention I can not skate smoothly/at ease. What do I do? I am looking to just change the wheels and bearing in my old skates these are so awkward for me- any suggestions? Does the 100mm get better, I am a worse skater with these? Do I go to a smaller wheel size?How do you get use to 100mm wheels on in-line skates after having 80mm wheels?
I bought a new pair of Salomon Vitesse III's after Salomon quit making them and a mail order store was closing them out. Salomons fit me better than K2s or Rollerblades. Second best in the fit for my foot shape (a bit wide) are the Rollerblades, then the narrower K2s.



Not much you can do with the fit. Unfortunately, the frames for the 100mm wheels probably have 7 1/2%26quot; between the mounting holes and your Salomons (if they were the upper models) probably have the older 6 1/2%26quot; spacing. If you can find some mounting slots on the frame that are witin the possible adjustment of the boots, you could mount the new frames to your Salomon boots.



My next skates may be the Bont SemiRace (http://www.bont.com/index.htm), *IF* they fit my feet well.



If the boots are biting you around the ankles, you can try EZ-fit booties (http://www.ezeefitsports.com/booties.htm They add neoprene padding around the ankle bones.



The more stable you were on your old skates, the less learning you will need to do on the 100s.



First, make sure that the frames are positioned correctly. You should be able to adjust them both at the heel and ball of the foot.



Ideally, they should extend about the same amount in front and behind the boot. Some frames have multiple slots for positioning them.



Next adjust the frame at the heel so that you have neutral balance from side to side. They should be easy to stand with the wheels straight up and you should be able to roll the ankles either inward or outward a bit.



Last, adjust the front of the frame to be approximetly aligned with the space between you big and second toe.



That should leave you with skates that want to stay up.



The 100s will be tippier and you may need to tighten up your boots a little more to compensate at first.

You could put the wheels from your old skates (assuming that they are 80mm or 84mm) on the larger frames to get used to being a little higher off the ground.
  • skin discoloration rash
  • computer won't start up
  •